Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Back on Track - A Personal Note

"Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel." - Socrates

Life is a funny thing. When I first started this blog, I thought "YES! I'm going to do this"... a year later and I'm finally making a point of following through with it. Excuses are excuses; if something is important to you, it will be done or you will find an excuse. However, for the purpose of my ego I'm going to say that the last year was spent obtaining Masters of Science and my brain was too far immersed in the realm of biology to think much beyond the next deadline, let alone whether my socks matched. Completed and dusted now, it's time to get back to what really matters to me by making time for it.

As a scientist, living in the world of the 'highly technical', I've often wondered what the point of science is, if not to share the findings with the future generations? Granted, time must be spent to break things down into digestible jargon for those not in the deep in the field of choice, but that is time well spent in my personal opinion.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

So, a few of my aims in the next twelve months are as follows:
- An average of one blog per week, or at least two a month (leeway for those busy months...)
- Focus on current events that people can relate to in their daily lives
- Open a "request" section for people to specify topics of particular interest
- Open a "guest" page for other scientists to post their own work/ideas/thoughts for the general public
- Start a "kids" page to give the wee ones some of their own food for thought
- To learn throughout the experience without expectation of what "should" be learned

To be fair, this is a hefty list but one I shall aim for. After all, Norman Vincent Peale said, "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

Monday Money Quote: Environment vs Economy - Family Budgeting
Source: http://family-budgeting.co.uk/2013/10/07/monday-money-quote-environment-vs-economy/


1 comment:

  1. Ive been thinking heavly about you, what an accomplishment. I shall follow you! Suvate! Science is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete